Fortunately we live in a country that gives people a chance to determine our destiny. On this page we have listed some of the things that we all can do to make our voices heard concerning the future of Van Norden Lake and wetlands. In light of the current plan of TDLT to drain the lake, we urge you to contact (preferably by email) the officials listed below if you want to preserve the lake and wetlands.
UPDATE – TDLT has submitted an application for their project to drain the lake and wetlands. You can contact the senior planning person in charge directly at Nevada County by clicking here.
Contact your elected officials
Luckily the fate of the Summit Valley is not up to Truckee Donner Land Trust alone. In this country our elected officials are responsible for overseeing the natural resources that all of us enjoy. One of the great advantages of our democratic society is that we get to contact those officials to make our voices heard to influence the decisions that are made for the common good. Listed here are the names and contact information for all of the public officials that have some sort of jurisdiction over the Summit Valley. We encourage you to contact them by whatever means and let them know that you want to preserve Van Norden Lake and Wetlands.
- Senator Diane Feinstein Address: Hart Senate Office Buildin, Room 331, 120 Constitution Ave NE, Washington DC 20510 Phone: 202-224-3841 Email
- Senator Barbara Boxer Address: Hart Senate Office Buildin, Room 112, 120 Constitution Ave NE, Washington DC 20510 Phone: 202-224-3553 Email
- Congressman Doug LaMalfa Address: District FH-CA01, Cannon House Office Building, Room 506, 25 Independence Ave. SE, Washington DC 20515 Phone: 202-225-3076 Email
- Governor Jerry Brown Address: c/o State Capitol, Suite 1173 Sacramento, CA 95814 Phone: 916-445-2841 Email
- Assemblyman Brian Dahle Address: 280 Hemsted Dr., Suite #110, Redding, CA 96002 Phone: 530-223-6300 Email
- State Senator Ted Gaines Address: State Capitol, Room 3070, Sacramento, CA 95814 Phone: 916-651-4001 Email
Nevada County Officials:
- District 5 Supervisor Richard Anderson Address: 950 Maidu Ave, Nevada, City, CA 95959 Phone: 530-265-1480 Email
- District 5 Supervisor Jennifer Montgomery Address: Placer County Supervisor, District 5, 175 Fulweiler Avenue, Auburn, CA 95603 Phone: Email
Contact Agency Officials
The two main agencies currently involved in the fate of the lake and wetlands are the Truckee Donner Land Trust and USForest Service. They can be contacted at
- Truckee Donner Land Trust Address: P.O. Box 8816, Truckee, CA 96162 Phone: 530-582-4711 Email
- US Forest Service – Tahoe National Forest Address: Truckee Ranger District, 10811 Stockrest Springs Road, Truckee CA 96161 Phone: 530-587-3558 Email
Contact Conservation and Environmental Organizations
There are many organizations dedicated to environmental preservation that many of you probably already support. Writing to them about Van Norden Lake and Wetlands could help to enlist their support. As you many have noticed, two organizations familiar to the summit, Nature Conservancy and SYRCL, have written supporting letters for the Land Trust plan. If you believe as I do that they are misguided in this stand to remove bio-diverse habitat then contact them and let them know how you feel.
Letters To The Editor
For those of you with a flair for writing we urge you to send a letter to the editor (up to 300 words) of the Truckee newspaper the Sierra Sun and voice your feelings. You can submit a letter at